The Ayurvedic theory was based on the principle, according to which, a creation was on five main elements: ether, air, fire, water and earth. Within the human being, the five elements are in turn grouped into three fundamental life forces called Doshas: Vata (ether and air), Pitta (fire and water) and Kapha (earth and water). Together, the three doshas formed Tridosha. The three fundamental life forces determine and regulate all biological functions, physiology and pathophysiology of body, mind and spirit.
Depending on the prevailing energy and determining an individual constitution, it may follow a certain diet, the goal is to restore balance and maintain harmony to the body.
Ignoring the rules of correct lifestyle leads to the accumulation of toxins in the body and the occurrence of diseases (it must neither be forgot nor be ignored the fact that in the south east zones of Asia people live with the longest and healthiest life).
Ayurveda has an individualized approach to diet and lifestyle, one of the most efficient in the world. Depending on the type of constitution (Dosha) and applying the principles of ancient Rishi (Sage), everyone can have good health and long life. According to Ayurveda, each person has to eat his foods, eating fruits, carbohydrates, proteins and fats separately (which are suitable to his body constitution) at different times of the day. Improper combination of foods can lead to indigestion, fermentation, putrefaction and gas formation.
According to the principles of Ayurveda, food meals must occupy only one-third of the capacity of the stomach, one-third must be water and one-third should be left empty. This will aid digestion and help mental health.
People with a predominant Vata constitution may have difficulty in weight gain, having a prominent, small bone structure. Also, dry skin and hair and fell cold all the time. From mental point of view, they are creative, learn and forget quickly. They have characteristic of sleeplessness, fatigue and constipation.
Diet for Vata people is the renunciation of dry and crunchy foods, carbonated beverages, avoidance of cold, uncooked vegetables. It is recommended to consume hot soups in diet, cooked cereal, nuts, cooked vegetables and hot milk. Spicy food is good for Vata people as it increases the digestive fire. Although Vata is aggravated by the sweetness, white sugar should be avoided. Fermented foods can aggravate Vata. Also, Vata people should avoid cabbage/broccoli and vegetables of Solanaceae family (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, green peppers) and eat raw vegetables marinated or with sauce. In this constitution meals at fixed hours are important.
People with a predominant pitta constitution are very athletic and have a good digestion and they can eat almost anything. From mental point of view, they are very smart, ambitious and tend to be perfectionists in everything they do, also get angry quickly, suffer from premature greying of hair and baldness.
For people with this constitution are recommended to avoid too spicy, sour and salty foods, avoid alcohol, coffee, or insufficiently ripen or sour fruits. Also, hot, spicy and acidic foods aggravate Pitta. Fruits, vegetables, grains and low-fat dairy products, are generally good for pitta, unless they are too spicy or sour. Also, it is recommended to avoid excessive use of oil, salt and red meat.
People with a predominant Kapha constitution have a more robust conformity, broad hips and shoulders, thick and shiny hair and good physical strength. From mental point of view, these people have a slower learning pace, but good memory, are loyal, stable and reliable. As a result of inappropriate circulation and slow digestion, they are prone to obesity. For persons belonging to such constitutional, it is recommended to reduce the amount of oil and fats in the food, reducing sweet and salty foods, reduce dairy products, moderate to less consumption of red meat. Kapha diet focuses on foods with hot, dry, fresh and raw vegetables with pungent, astringent and bitter taste. Wheat, rice and oats create excess mucus, and fried foods, seeds and nuts harms people and increase Kapha. Sweets (except honey), salty and sour foods aggravate kapha and induce obesity. Spicy foods are recommended because they stimulate metabolism.
Compliance with simple rules which become the part of the lifestyle are more than beneficial for the individual:
– Avoid consumption of milk, dairy products generally with sour or citrus fruits;
– Avoid consumption of fruit with potatoes or other starchy foods;
– Avoiding cereal and watermelons avoid milk consumption with watermelons;
– Do not consume cooked honey;
– Avoiding the mixture of meat protein with the milk protein;
– Consumption of appropriate amount of water between meals to help digest and absorb food;
– Use of salt (rock salt) in the diet contributes to optimal digestion;
in Ayurveda, there are 6 types of tastes: sweet, salty, bitter, sour, pungent and astringent; therapists recommend that all these should be included in each main meal of the day.
– Food choices must be done based on their physical characteristics, which can be heavy, light, dry, liquid, hot or cold, and a balanced menu should include foods from each physical category, the proportion of which should be adapted to the physical constitution, season and so on;
– The choice of food should take into account its effect on the internal state – on the mind, the senses and the spirit, the season fresh foods are always preferred (most healthy way of eating is eating whole foods in their natural state).
– Experts who wrote the ancient Ayurvedic texts as contemporary fascination, terrified over exclusive diets: that diet without carbohydrates or fat the diet based only on fruit juices. Ayurveda recommends consuming a variety of foods, essential for the body to get all vital substances; also, addition of spices and fresh herbs in food is very helpful: they contribute to the achievement / normalize digestion and eliminate toxins from the body.
For your health, STAR INTERNATIONAL MED specialists have created the dietary supplements SLEMOL and SPIRULINA STAR, made by Ayurmed.